Re: Net8 Lookup Method Options - tnsnames(Local) vs. Hostname vs. Onames/LDAP

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:47:57 -0600

You are right in that I think Hostname is the way to go for most databases even in a large corporation. It is just too simple (1 line in listener.ora) to implement a test to not try it out. For a test I recommend using the machine name for the global_dbname, but for production usage, you should use a TCP/IP alias to the machine and code this in the listener.ora .

I see you favor Onames. I don't think Onames is that bad, but it's eventual replacement (LDAP) seems problematic at best.

Well, our large coporation appears to have some people saying we should go to LDAP with a bunch of OID databases globally just to support this crap.

We already have a not too bad tnsnames.ora "file replication" that is not that bad (hard to believe right).

Anyway, see more comments below....

--
"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:33:49 -0600, "Burt Peltier"
> <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >> Comments embedded

> >this

> >simple
> >shops?).
> >> >

> >> IIRC, as soon as you have multiple instances on one server, you can't
> >> use the hostname method. Hence I assume most shops can't use the
> >> hostname method at all.
> >
> >Not true.
> >
> >I can see posting comments on Onames which you seem knowledge-able about,
> >but you obviously know almost nothing about Hostname.
> >
> >We have as many as 5 production instances (for the last 3 years I might
add)
> >on 1 machine using Hostname by using a separate TCP/IP alias. The alias
that
> >the GLOBAL_DBNAME points to in the listener.ora for each individual
database
> >is the one that works for it.
>

> Yeah sure, but you can't use failover nor standby database if you are
> using the global_dbname syntax. Apparently you don't have standby
> databases and you don't have to use failover
Ok... so what percentage of Oracle customers use failover or standby databases? I know in our large corporation, I think I have heard of 1 location with failover in place. That's 1 out of hundreds.

> >replication
> >company,
> >>
> >> Usually no tnsnames.ora will be identical, because people want to have
> >> their 'own' databases only. Also name resolution using tnsnames.ora is
> >> definitely much slower than using onames. Basically, in many
> >> orgnisations tnsnames will be a PITA
> >>

> >I agree that tnsnames.ora can become a "mess" (multiple copies), if
clients
> >can change where Oracle picks up the tnsnames.ora from (and there are
> >several ways to change this). That is why we consider it a fallback to
> >Hostname. Also, in our new organization, client's W2K ("locked") desktops
> >prevent them from easily changing this, although we have a process where
> >client could easily add 1 entry to the top of the tnsnames.ora file.
Being
> >at the top it will never override production entries below it in the
> >official tnsnames.ora (which is not edit-able by clients).
> >
> >It seems the only people that want (or should be allowed) to have their
> >'own' databases are mainly developers/DBAs or support staff. This seems
> >required to do their job and they should be able to fix their own
"multiple
> >copies mess". In our new organization, these people are "unlocked" and
can
> >do anything on the desktop.

> >> Not true.
> >
> >Statement #2 is of course true.
>

> Statement #2 is of course not true. There are too many limitations of
What does a limitation have to do with simplicity?
> using the hostname method. Apparently you have already decided the
> hostname method is *always* better despite the limitations being
I specifically said where I know Hostname is not going to work. So, what are you talking about?
> mentioned. So I don't see why you bring this into discussion if you
> see using the hostname method basically as your 'gospel'
See comments at beginning...

> >So, you are saying adding 1 line to the listener.ora and creating 1
TCP/IP
> >alias is not simple? Absolutely ZERO client *.ora files are required ...
is
> >not simple?
> >

> >> It
> >of
> >LDAP
> >in

> >for
> >option
> >>
> >> Failover has NOTHING to do at all with a specific platform. You are
> >> confusing failsafe and failover.
> >> I wouldn't call not being capable to use MTS a 'limitation'. That is
> >> just a blatant understatement.
> >
> >Ok. As I said "not sure" . You are probably correct ... I am confusing
those
> >two... failsafe and failover.
> >
> >I don't think I am understating anything ... I specifically listed all
the
> >limitations ( I could think of and even 1 I was unsure of) and to catch
> >everything else ... I said anything that is not a default in tnsnames.ora
> >will not be possible with Hostname method.
> >
> >So, what exactly is the understatement?

> >and

> >which
> >> >

> >> Onames *ALWAYS* caches the information, so Onames doesn't need to
> >> access the database to resolve a request. The cache file is
> >> synchronised at regular configurable intervals, and you can have
> >> delegated administration in various regions. Also, you don't need to
> >> maintain database links anymore.
> >>

> >> Seems like you don't have any working experience with Onames, and your
> >> background is a small company. If you have a larger organizations
> >> Onames and/or LDAP is the way to go.
> >>

> >Wrong. I work for a large corporation.
>
> If you work for a large corporation I fail to see why you don't set up
> Oracle names.

Going away...
> I have worked with Onames on a 2nd
> >job and it has been 5 years. So, I forgot the detail about always
cache'ing
> >to a local file.
> >
> >I should "refresh" my Onames knowledge - oh wait. That's true, Oracle
says
> >it is going away. So, why learn it?
>
> So you don't know anything about RBO because Oracle has deprecated it
> 10 years ago? Come on!

Well, I don't see RBO and Onames as quite the same animal... for one thing Onames requires extra infrastructure and RBO does not. I know there were rumors that RBO would be de-supported ... one day. And yes it took about 10 years for Oracle to officially announce that with10g. And, of course, I continue to use RBO and CBO in many cases. But, it seems like more than just a rumor and "official enough" for me that Onames is not something anyone should migrate to. See Metalink URL http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=135696.1 It says right off the start that Oracle9i is the terminal release of Onames. Even if it turns out this is not accurate/true, would you really recommend a company that does not currently use Onames should migrate to Onames? I see more than 1 place in Metalink where Oracle recommends going to LDAP. And, again the implementation of LDAP for storing tnsnames.ora information seems problematic to me.

> >As for LDAP... someone knowledge-able can please correct me on this if I
am
> >wrong , but doesn't LDAP work better with OID (Oracle Internet
Directory)?