Re: Case insensitive queries

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 29 Nov 2003 09:30:11 -0600

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:

> Give it some thought.

Love the patronizing post there Daniel. All Oracle needs to do is give the DBA a switch at the column level to allow for this particular column to have this case insensitivity on queries. Allow for it to be altered. This would be quite akin to materialized views. I bet this is how 10g ends up implementing it. Yes, the developers and dbas wouldn't be devoid of maintenance of these objects, but the setup, creation, ongoing insertions? All handled by the database.

I'm going to look back and see if I can find any post where you got all uppity about materialized views when they came on the scene. Wouldn't surprise me to find a few. I bet you got all up in arms about select auditing. How bout VPD? Where you all pissed off about java in the database? Lets turn the tables. Did you get all pissed off at locally managed tablespaces?

--
Galen Boyer