Re: Case insensitive queries

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-bee-m.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:01:18 -0500

Hmm, time for my monthly Oracle posting I s'pose.

While functional indexes are neat in themselves they do not provide a match for case-insensitive search. Reason being is that often the user requires both the case insensitive (predicate) and the sensitive (select list) part. So a clean index access quickly turns either into a requirement for duplicate storing of the same data (index includes both) or an index scan with subsequent data page fetch which is quite literaly a drag...

Sometimes competitors do good stuff and one is ill-advised to ignore it.

Cheers
Serge

PS: I can claim being unbiased since DB2 (at present) also does not support case-insensitivity.. :-|
PPS: I ain't a crusty DB2 DBA, so I don't need to feel offended by Daniel :-)

--
Serge Rielau
DB2 SQL Compiler Development