Re: WRe: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:11:22 +0100

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:23:56 +0100, "Alkos" <azerty_at_nospam.org> wrote:

>Datatypes is an issue I'm constantly dealing with :-((
>
>Using a unproper (is that correct English ?) datatype for column
>e.g. NUMBER for a date (number of days/seconds elapsed)
> VARCHAR2 instead of NUMBER for a numeric
>
>Being unaware of nearly deprecated datatypes and keeping on using them
>(VARCHAR, RAW)
Let's shake hands. I have to deal with an in-house developed app (yuck) in which all number(10) are stored as varchar2s, left-padded. Everytime when I set up a query filter in Toad I have to take those dratted leading 0s into account. I will remain silent about the performance impact.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA