Re: Design approaches about primary key

From: Sven Kolar <devnull_at_svenkolar.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:52:00 +0100

Hi Georg!

> I currently ask myself if using the integer primary keys
> is really worth the effort.

Are you working with OLTP databases only? My answer would be: "Surrogate keys, Sir? OLTP - no. DW - yes."

OLTP:
Surrogate keys should IMHO be avoided in OLTP implementations. Main reason: avoiding excessive lookups during atomic-transaction SELECTs, UPDATEs and INSERTs (which are plentiful in a typical OLTP setup). This approach simplifies my access logic (client-side DML), plus lessens the load on the server (no lookup joins!) -- join-hashing notwithstanding.

DW:

In my DW (data warehousing) implementations, however, I use surrogate keys (integers) only. Reasons for this include the following:

Surrogate keys, Sir? OLTP - no. DW - yes.

--
HTH, Sven
---