Partition Pruning on NULL -- need help.

From: Domenic G. <domenicg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2003 09:10:32 -0800

I need some help here. I have an application that searches for null values on a very large table on a specific column, always forcing a full table scan. Can't use a bitmap index on it (locking reasons) so I thought I could list partition it with a null partition ...

example ...

create table xyz (

   c1 number,
   c2 number)

partition by list (c1) (
   partition p1 values (null),
   partition p2 values (default));

But, when I do the explain plan on the "NULL" search ...

explain plan ...
select * from xyz where c1 is null;

I get "KEY" in the partition start and stop in the plan table, so I can't tell if it will restrict itself to p1. Is there an event I can turn on to show me this?

Thanks in advance,

Dom Received on Fri Nov 28 2003 - 11:10:32 CST