ORA-27123 when instance is restarted

From: Kjell Ove Skarsb? <kjellove_at_nivi.no>
Date: 28 Nov 2003 07:15:02 -0800

Hi.
Have setup severel databases on a SuSe Enterprise Linux Server. Oracle version is 9.2.0.4.0.
Common for all instances is that they are correctly started at boot time. But if one of the instances is shutdown and attempted started again, I got an error message:
Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

SQL> shutdown immediate
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> startup
ORA-27123: unable to attach to shared memory segment Linux Error: 22: Invalid argument
Additional information: 1
Additional information: 7733259
SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 122754448 bytes

Fixed Size                   451984 bytes
Variable Size              79691776 bytes
Database Buffers           41943040 bytes
Redo Buffers                 667648 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SQL> The timeframe between the first and second startup is about 0.5 sec. Any idea anyone. It seems to me that one startup attempt is used to free up shared memory.

PS: A total of 4GB RAM on the server, 8 instances each with an sga of about 100MB.

Best Regards

Kjell Ove Skarsbø Received on Fri Nov 28 2003 - 09:15:02 CST