Re: RMAN point-in-time recovery problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:12:25 +1100

"Vitalo Pedrotti" <vitalisREMOVETHAT_at_numericable.fr> wrote in message >
> Thanks for your explanation Howard.
>
> I've studied tablespace point-in-time recovery (TSPITR) a bit further and
what I
> was trying to do was erroneous for the reasons you gave.
>
> But TSPITR *IS* possible. Following chapter 11 of RMAN User's guide,we
> can perform the type of recovery I was trying to do. It's a bit
> complicated because it involves an auxialiary db and exporting/importing
> metadata. RMAN automates a large part of this procedure.
>
> Regards

TSPITR simply means clone a part of your database, perform an incomplete recovery on the clone, and then export the recovered table or data out of the clone so you can import it back into the production database. So of course TSPITR is possible... but that's not what your script was doing!

You're right that cloning is made very easy with RMAN. But it doesn't actually require RMAN, and RMAN isn't actually automating the recovery part of the process for you.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Nov 28 2003 - 06:12:25 CST