Problem : Maintaning the RMAN repository v. 8.0.5

From: Nicke Berglund <nicke.berglund_at_scomp.se>
Date: 28 Nov 2003 01:11:14 -0800

Hello,

I've got a problem deleting old backup objects through an old version of RMAN - v. 8.0.5.2.1. I'm my no means a DBA - only TSM and UNIX skills so I'd greatly appreciate any ideas :-)

(I want to do this because the backup objects are backed up to a TSM server, which can't inforce backup object version policy due to all objects hav
ing unique names. When I delete old objects in RMAN they later become "expired" in TSM)

... It says "backup set is missing" (se error log below) eventhough I select a backup object that's been backed up as recent as 2 days ago.

Also I've tried to use the RMAN command "crosscheck" but my RMAN installation doesn't recognize the option:

crosscheck backup;
or:
change backuppiece 1023 crosscheck;

# rman target sys/xxxxx rcvcat rman/rman_at_rman RMAN> allocate channel for delete type 'sbt_tape';

RMAN> change backuppiece 1023 delete;
RMAN-03022: compiling command: change
RMAN-03026: error recovery releasing channel resources
RMAN-00569: ================error message stack
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: change
RMAN-06038: recovery catalog package detected an error
RMAN-20260: backup piece not found in the recovery catalog
RMAN-06092: error while looking up backup piece

Still i can se all backup objects (from the very first object id 2 to yesterdays id 3512) if I run: RMAN> report obsolete;

Any help appreciated,

Regards
Nicke Berglund Received on Fri Nov 28 2003 - 03:11:14 CST