Re: Pentium M and Oracle Performance

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:03:28 +1100

"KevJohnP" <nospam_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:vAPwb.9685$VV6.221998_at_news.xtra.co.nz...
> Have run Oracle and a few laptops for learning and configured for people
> doing sales demos and I would agree wholeheartedly with this. CPU is
> not the major factor on a laptop for Oracle, memory and disk performance
> are.
>
> Memory is just a case of getting what you can, 512MB is a minimum >1GB
> is what you should aim for if performance matters particularly as there
> is presumably an app to run in addition to Oracle and all the other junk
> people often have running in the background on their PCs - especially
> sales people :)
>
> Worth also getting a laptop with firewire. The 'portable' disks that
> firewire attach are often far quicker than the slow internal disks you
> find in laptops. Even if you don't go for this initially its nice to
> have the option of using an external 8MB 7200rpm disk and tests show
> firewire is better suited to this than USB2.
>
> KJP
I'd just like to add that my new 3.2GHz Dell Lattitude something-or-other has just done sterling service running a 2-node virtual cluster with RAC. The laptop has 1GB of RAM, which made for 2 perfectly acceptable 384MB virtual machines, and the shared disk was indeed a USB2 external drive.

Worked like a charm, and the speed was impressive. IF Firewire could have performed any better, I'm pretty convinced I wouldn't have noticed it.

That laptop is, of course, what one might call a 'desktop replacement', but anyway...

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Nov 27 2003 - 21:03:28 CST