Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Nov 2003 20:10:59 GMT

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

> Again, today, I've been called into look at a database in which it is
> impossible to connect related events.
>
> Example:
> 1. Cases have a case number
> 2. Citations have a case number and a citation number
> 3. Fees paid for citations have a case number and a payment number
>
> If you can't see what's wrong ... you're part of the problem. ;-)

I'm not sure if I'm part of the problem or not. If the case-citation relationship is one-to-one but optional, I don't see the problem. If it's one to many, I do (unless you say that money is fungible and it doesn't matter what the payments are for as long as it adds up to the correct amount)

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB