Re: how to group synonyms ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:26:21 -0800

mcstock wrote:

> [...]
> | > a quick and dirty method that lacks. Period.
> | >
> | > Take security, access control and scope into proper consideration and
> | > then DO IT CORRECTLY!!
> | >
> | > --
> | > Billy
> |
> | I'm with Billy on this one. There is no valid reason I can think of for
> | public synonyms beyond DUAL and others created by Oracle. And I'd even
> | take issue with a few of theirs if I thought anyone would listen.
> |
> | --
> | Daniel Morgan
> | http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> | http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> | damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> | (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
> |

> thanks for the feedback, polite and otherwise...
>
> i can see that there may be some valid points behind Billy's, shall we say,
> observation, but a little more articulation on specific problems would be
> helpful
>
> i've never ran into problems with my recommended approach -- and i don't see
> any security issues except the ability for adhoc users to read the public
> synonym definitions for objects that they would otherwise not know to exist.
> please elaborate if visibility of these object is the issue
>
> scope is considered in this approach (standard application prefixes covers
> that).
>
> basically, i view public synonyms in the same light as OS, Java, and Apache
> path and virtual directory settings -- all in pretty common usage
>
> it seems like the perceived issues are actually addressed by proper use of
> roles
>
> from a project development and testing standpoint, i've seen lots of
> problems with explicitly naming the schema owner -- from limitations in
> testing (all test environments must use the same schema names, hence each
> test environment requires its own instance) to customer DBAs insisting on
> changing schema names (which i don't advocate, but it happens in the real
> world all too often), to code reusability (can't plug code and tables from
> one project into another project)
>
> daniel's argument (basically) in favor of oracle's usage of public synonyms
> actually supports the use of non-oracle public synonyms. if i'm developing
> with good standards, i will quickly have common code and objects (i.e.
> subsystems) used across multiple applications and/or subsystems (i.e.,
> called from code existing in, or running under, multiple schemas). if it's
> not (totally) evil for oracle to create public synonyms for widely used
> objects, why object to the same practice for commonly used non-oracle
> objects?
>
> if public synonyms are that troubling, or if some actual problems can be
> identified, then an alternate approach would be requiring each user to have
> appropriate private synonyms in order to run the application -- but that
> seems a bit overkill, yet it preserves the schema-independence that i've

My major concern would be security. If someone doesn't need to know something exists it is a bad habit to allow them information about schema and object names.

It is so simple to use non-public synonyms to do the same thing I'd suggest for the few minutes it would take to write a script to create the regular synonyms ... good development practice should win out over the lazyman's approach.