Re: Running Instances on Windoz

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 26 Nov 2003 21:48:00 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote . .
.> Hmmmmmmm. Those "shoulds" getcha every time. Are you saying Oracle
> didn't do the dependencies correctly or is there something to be setup
> in system services?

I would put the blame on Oracle if it does not work. Each NT service can be defined with dependancies. This will ensure that the service's startup sequence is correct. For example, if service A needs service B to work, and you start service A while B is down, B will be started first and then A.

Thus if there are startup issues with 9i and 9iAS and what not, then Oracle has to sort that one out.

> That's what I thought you meant. Definitely a complaint I've had for
> a looooong time. But the answer has always been, there are better
> tools available that do run on W. Isn't perl required for Apache
> anyways?

Not really... though many installations do have Perl as a standard mod in Apache. I prefer to roll my own using Kylix or Delphi.. :-)

As for Unix style scripting on NT. Running Cygwin... well, that's like a fake orgasm. Not something that is really enjoyable.

> That's why I let management deal with that sort of thing after I state
> my technical opinions. And why I wish Windows wasn't such crap.

But then with Windows being (more than once btw) among the top 10 fastest TPC platforms (with SQL-Server) in the world, is it truly that crap?

I think the real problem is that we are so used to do it in a specific way in Unix, that the Windows way seem foreign, crude, inflexible... but then with a cup full of Unix how can we truly taste what Windows is like? Er.. not that I particularly want to. I prefer my HP-UX server and Linux web servers & desktop. :-)

--
Billy