Re: Instance vs Schema pro/cons

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2003 13:15:22 -0800

Marc Eggenberger <marc.eggenberger_removeME_at_itc.alstom.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1a2ee28e17cdcf229896dc_at_iww.cacti.ch.alstom.com>...
> Hi there.
>
> I need some opinions ...
>
> Its about if its better to have one oracle instace and several
> applications in schemas or if I can be better to have several instances
> on one server.
>
> I would normally go the one instance / everything else in schemas way
> because of the overhead (having multiple sga's etc)
>
> Multiple instances are more independant. So if you need different
> settings (that are instance wide). Or maybe to seperate customers more.
>
> Do you have other pros and cons?

"Better" requires an needs analysis. I've found that restoration requirements usually are a determining factor - do you want one app to blow off everybody? Newer Oracle features are pushing in the one instance direction. But still, unless all the apps are similar and written in a similar manner, tuning issues can also be a determinant (see the deadly sins thread).

Unless you are on Windows, then you pretty much have to do one instance/one box (or less). You can do more, but it inevitably winds up a PITA.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/wed/metro/news_2m26gates.html