Re: how to group synonyms ?

From: mcstock <mcstockspamplug_at_spamdamenquery.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:24:09 -0500

synonyms are either public (owned by PUBLIC and accessible to all users) or private (owned by, and accessible to, a single user) -- roles only group privileges

i highly recommend public synonyms for applications -- coding the schema name with the object creates maintenance and portability problems

however, if you are concerned about name-space collisions (i.e., if a user may be allowed to create a table with the same name as an application table referenced via the public synonym) establish a convention that all applications have a standard prefix which is used for all application tables and/or public synonyms to those tables, i. HR_ for human resources, SO_ for sales orders, etc.

just to clarify: the user (with appropriate privs) can always create an object with the same name as a public synonym, but the problems occur when Oracle give preference to the user's object instead of the object referenced by the public synonym. -- is this the problem you're trying to address