Re: Instance vs Schema pro/cons

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2003 10:04:27 -0800

Marc Eggenberger <marc.eggenberger_removeME_at_itc.alstom.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1a2ee28e17cdcf229896dc_at_iww.cacti.ch.alstom.com>...
> Hi there.
>
> I need some opinions ...
>
> Its about if its better to have one oracle instace and several
> applications in schemas or if I can be better to have several instances
> on one server.
>
> I would normally go the one instance / everything else in schemas way
> because of the overhead (having multiple sga's etc)
>
> Multiple instances are more independant. So if you need different
> settings (that are instance wide). Or maybe to seperate customers more.
>
> Do you have other pros and cons?

The best answer may depend on why you think you need to separate the schemas. I do not think the ability to set the database parameters to different values has much merit even without the fact that many parameters can be set at the session level.

If in doubt, start with one instance and expand if necessary.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Nov 26 2003 - 12:04:27 CST