Re: Duplicate database using OEM

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:17:31 GMT

Dave wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Anyone here use OEM jobs to duplicate a database? I want to make a
> copy of production every night for testing purposes (so I don't have
> to do it manually when they request it).
>
> Since we are moving to OEM I thought i'd setup a job there to do it.
> I know under the credentials section of the "Run Rman Script" task
> lets you specifiy an auxilary database but it only mentions TSPITR.
> Which would be my target database for the job? The primary database
> or my duplicate database?
>
> Please CC: my hotmail account... i'm using google and it will take 5-6
> hours for me to see responses. shoad316_at_hotmail.com
>
> thanks
>
> Dave

I've never used OEM jobs for that purpose, but I do have some test databases that refresh from a prod database with the "push of a button" that could just as easily be done with a cron or winat job. Create your copy database however you want (restore from backup, or import) and have your prod do an export nightly (or some other quiet time) then import into the copy at whatever time. For one database I have a script that truncates all the schemas tables that I'm importing, as well as disabling al triggers and constraints, does the import from users X then reenables all triggers and constraints.

Or you can just drop the user with cascade prior to import if that fits your needs better.

It's quite simple and likely less work than trying to set up an OEM console job to do it.

hth Received on Wed Nov 26 2003 - 11:17:31 CST