Re: init.ora file

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:44:03 -0800

hiroko wrote:

> Hi, I am studying Oracle Database Administration.
>
> When I was setting automatic archivelog mode, I noticed I had trouble
> setting up init.ora file.
>
> I am using Oracle9 on Win2k.
>
> I modified init.ora file by adding;
> log_archive_start=true
> log_archive_dest=%Oracle%\admin\%SID%\arch
> log_archive_format=archorc_%s.log.
> Then, I shutdown, startup mount, alter database archivelog, alter
> database open.
> When I run alter system switch logfile for 3 times (I have 3 Redolog
> files), SQLPLUS hang.
> When I checked the book I had (OCP text book), it says this occurs
> when init.ora is not modified but alter database archivelog is run.
>
> So init.ora that was located on %Oracle%\admin\%SID%\spfile\ is not
> affecting database.

Actually it is. It is in that changes made to the init.ora are meaningless. The database is still running off the spfile.

Here's what you should do:

  1. show down the database
  2. run the following from SQL*Plus after shutdown: create spfile from pfile='init.ora'; Replaceing init.ora with the name of your init.ora file
  3. start up the database

It should then work properly.

--
Daniel Morgan