Re: Running Instances on Windoz

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 25 Nov 2003 23:39:40 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote i

> > IOW, these GUI tools turn Mr Sysadm/DBA into an ignoramus. On Unix,
> > the effect is usually the opposite due to the lack of GUI tools.
>
> Oracle has managed to undo that with OEM. :-O

Very true.

OEM is a great tool (except for Java and X-Server issues), but it should not be a substitute for command line kung fu.

> Well, I was going for a FAQ answer on something supported, but what
> the hey, you always have more entertaining answers! :-)

Well, I did not get WebCache to work...

> So why do we have issues of Oracle closing bugs with "Not feasible to
> implement?" Why does support recommend using batch files to start and
> stop? I don't think a few minutes of reading specs answers this at
> all.

Ah.. some interesting stuff with sharp edges. :-)

If this is done properly using service dependancies, the order and timing should not be an issue. Batch scripts are not really the correct way to configure Windows' version of rc.d. But then writing custom EXEs as services is also not really acceptable either from a sysadmin viewpoint.

> What do you mean by lack of scripting?

cmd.exe is no ksh or bash. And what they did to the FOR command to make it more Unix shell script like borders on code rape.

> Isn't that what that console group policy
> http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~kisrael/kingmissle.html#penis or whatever the
> heck it's called is for?

Exactly.

> > Not that I'm a die-hard Windows NT/2000/XP fan. If anything my
> > favourite o/s still is Siemens' BS2000.. but then that's probably just
> > nostalgia.. ;-)
>
> An honest OS - explicitly BS! :-)

Yeah, but is *2000*. That makes all the difference. ;-)

> Well, I'd still like to see someone honestly compare Windows and
> Linux. Particularly some replicable ordinary hardware configuration
> that runs good on Linux and crappy on Windows.

Yeah, but then a technical comparison is a technical comparison. And that IMO does not play the major role in the business decision in selecting an operating system.

--
Billy