Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10junk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2003 14:14:05 -0800

Norman did a great job listing the database development sins, but I have 1 more: Doing everything that Siebel enforces its customers to do! For example:
- Enforce the use of RBO instead of CBO! - Rebuild indexes periodically, in the hope that "it will help performance"
- create gazillions of indices on an OLTP system (it's not common in Siebel that more than 100 indices are defined on a table) - Have no reference integrity at the database level! - Avoid at all costs to use MV's or views!!!! (they prefer instead to use giant SQL statements).

Daniel Roy
Siebel Developer!