Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:49:32 -0000

"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:1e8276d6.0311250803.3cbc43be_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'm just creating some document how developers should/must not behave
> when dealing with Oracle database. I written down some basic rules and
> came with idea what's the most stupid thing that you can do to your
> database.
> I have two on mind, first one is not using BIND variables and the
> second one is using COMMIT in a loop statement. However, there will be
> more of these.
> So I have question to you here. What's the most stupid, but in real
> world foundable, mistakes in development applications using Oracle
> datatabase?

No primary key - rare
No foreign keys - common
No bind variables
Create intermediate tables as often as possible and then drop them when done with.
Use PL/SQL instead of SQL
No Bind variable.
Use Java SP instead of PL/SQL
Use EJB instead of the Database.
Use Net instead of the Database
No bind variables .
Avoid array fetch at all costs.
Parse repeatedly.
Test on your laptop with a maximum of 5 rows per table. Don't test at all, that is what pilots are for. nO binD variableS.
Return all of the table to your client and filter on the client to avoid loading the server.
Never document anything - noone will read it. Never have a database model - that is just for classes. no bind variables

:(

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA