Re: Backup strategy for Veritas BackupExec

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2003 08:19:21 -0800

"Silmar" <silmar_at_talex.pl> wrote in message news:<bpv2kt$sgf$1_at_nemesis.news.tpi.pl>...
> Hi,
>
> we are deploying backup system in our company. It's based on BackupExec 9.
> For backuping Oracle DB we purchased Oracle Agent. Our current strategy
> consist of following steps:
> 1. Performing weekly backup of all required tablespaces (including SYSTEM
> and RBS), Archived Log Files nad Database Control Files.
> 2. Performing daily backup of Archived Log Files.
>
> Is this strategy correct? Is this enough or there should be some other data
> backuped (pfile's, etc)?
>
> Regards
> Silmar

You did not specify an Oracle version. I'll assume that you're deploying Oracle 9i R2 on W2K Server for the purposes of this posting.

So, you paid the vendor for its Oracle Agent. I believe that Veritas sells training for their product, as well as provides tech support. Have you spoken with them?

I would have said, allocate the funds used for the Oracle Agent on formal training for the DBA instead. RMAN backup sets to disk do not require an Oracle Agent, but you probably need one if RMAN is going to communicate with Veritas directly.

You will likely have no backup sets on disk. You will have to restore up to a week's worth of archived redo in order to recover the (up to) week-old backup set. You will need enough space on disk to accommodate the week's worth or archived redo, otherwise restore, apply, purge, repeat for all archived logs required in the recovery process. It meets with your availability requirements in terms of mean time to recovery, fine. Disks are cheap, I'd go for on-disk backup set staging areas.

I'd strongly recommend that you test this setup out thoroughly prior to putting the system into production.

Your SysAdmin should be able to handle the required files to include in the backupsets, but the pfile/spfile should be included in the backup set, as well as the backup controlfile (which Veritas does create).

good luck.

Pd Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 10:19:21 CST