Re: RMAN - backup to remote disk array?

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2003 05:29:14 -0800

"Steven" <SPAMBLOCKERsteven.pannell_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:<bpv9sv$1sadvv$1_at_ID-82797.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Hi,
>
> I have a remote disk array of IDE drives (2TB) and want to use RMAN to
> backup my database to these disks. The question is how can I do this? I
> though of using NFS or SAMBA but I don't think this is a good idea. Does
> anyone have any suggestions? A plug in library for rman? I'm using 9i with
> redhat Linux.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve.

Obviously the 'plug-in' library doesn't exist: there is one single disk driver in RMAN and that's it. The 'plug-in' APIs are necessary for tape-libraries.
You seem to have a choice between

a) an unreliable and slow-backup on NFS
b) no backup at all
c) pray.
d) make sure the array is attached directly to the db server.

I would choose between c and d, so in your case probably c.

I'm not sure why you would even want to *consider* using NFS or Samba, as Oracle has always advised against using them, for appropiate reasons.
But then you might be handy with a disk-editor.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 07:29:14 CST