Re: Cannot start multiple dbwrs when using I/O slaves

From: Saikat Chakraborty <saikatchak_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:19:44 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,
Database version and OS information would be helpful. But in sort: DB_WRITER_IO_SLAVES simulates asynch IO. They do not perform asynch IO. They are helpful only when the operating system donot support asynch IO. If your OS supports Asynch IO, then you should use multiple DBWR, and set disk_asynch_io=TRUE

One problem of this is, if the I/O volume is very high, so that the OS could not handle it, In that case there is a chance that asynch I/O
will time out. This will lead to crash of the database.

Only in that case you should use slaves with setting disk_asynch_io=FALSE

You can not use DBWR_IO_SLAVES and multiple DBWR process at the same time.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Saikat Chakraborty