Re: Logon denied - externally authenticated user over a workgroup ...

From: Toby Edwards <toby.edwards_at_technical-it.com>
Date: 24 Nov 2003 13:57:55 -0800

"Anna C. Dent" <anacdent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<uq3wb.16660$kl6.6815_at_fed1read03>...
> Toby Edwards wrote:
> > After unsuccesfully getting PO8.1.7 to work I am now trying the
> > following
> >
> > 1 server (Win 2k server), 1 client (Win2k pro). Machines are part of a
> > WORKGROUP called BATSTONE.
> >
> > Server running 8.1.7 Enterprise edition, sid = ORCL, following set in
> > init.ora
> > remote_login_password_file = none
> > os_authent_prefix = ""
> > remote_os_authent = TRUE
> >
> > On the server and client sqlnet.ora has
> > SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
> >
> > Created a user on the server identifed externally (the user has a
> > server account)
> >
> > create user "IBM01\TOBY EDWARDS" identified externally;
> > grant connect, resource to "IBM01\TOBY EDWARDS";
> >
> > Logged off Administrator, logged on as Toby Edwards -
> > sqlplus / works !! (woohoo)
> > sqlplus /@ORCL works !! (woohoo)
> >
> > Logged on the client as Toby Edwards,
> > sqlplus /@ORCL fails - ORA-01017 invalid username/password; logon
> > denied
> >
> > Back on the server created a user (BATSTONE being the workgroup)
> > create user "BATSTONE\TOBY EDWARDS" identified externally;
> > grant connect, resource to "BATSTONE\TOBY EDWARDS";
> >
> > The client still fails to logon.
> >
> > Interestingly in the Oracle Admin Assistant, if I choose to create an
> > external user I can only select those users created on the server. In
> > my live environment the database server is seperate from the domain
> > controller so similarly does not display users in the domain.
> >
> > Any help greatly appreciated
> >
> > Toby
>
> log onto remote client as "TOBY EDWARDS"
> log into Oracle as "TOBY EDWARDS" from remote client.
>
> what does
> SELECT USERNAME, OSUSER, MACHINE FROM V$SESSION;
> report?

Sorry, I dont understand, I cant log into Oracle as "TOBY EDWARDS" from the remote client.

sqlplus "TOBY EDWARDS"
invalid option
Usage CONNECT <username> ...

or

sqlplus "TOBY EDWARDS"@ORCL
invalid option
Usage CONNECT <username> ...

From the server which I am able to connect to it shows the following

USERNAME OSUSER MACHINE IBM01\TOBY EDWARDS IBM\Toby Edwards BATSTONE\IBM01

Still cant connect from client