Re: Case insensitive queries

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:29:51 -0800

Mark Townsend wrote:

>> I think it's a valid requirement, that the user does not need to know
>> how a name, city, etc has been written, and I have been coding around
>> this shortcoming of Oracle for several years now.
>> It's good to hear that Oracle finally can do what the competitors
>> could do for years.
>>

> Well, this feature is provided primarily for migration purposes
> (i.e for those customers/partners that want to migrate to Oracle from
> SQLServer).
>
> I'm sure that Oracle would still argue that the 'correct' default
> behaviour is case sensitivity.

I know I would. In fact I would argue that the case sensitivity should be a switch so that it can be turned off in the interest of data integrity.

Other database products can do lots of things Oracle can't do. And it is for that reason that many of us don't recommend them in many situations.

Keep up the good work but please please please do something about the quality of support. Not just TAR and iTAR but also metalink and the web posted documents. It is becoming more and more of an issue.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu