Re: Case insensitive queries

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_bad_address.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:56:21 GMT

Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> Hans Forbrich schrieb:
>

> Let's assume a search application with searches for contacts, companies,
> addresses, products,... You name it.
>
> I think it's a valid requirement, that the user does not need to know how a
> name, city, etc has been written, and I have been coding around this
> shortcoming of Oracle for several years now.
> It's good to hear that Oracle finally can do what the competitors could do
> for years.

'Twas but an opinion.

With Function-Based indexes, it is not unreasonable to code the query against an UPPER(column) or LOWER(column) with virtually no performance hit. Doesn't seem like a huge 'coding around' effort to me.

(Of course, that's assuming literate developers who have bothered to read the docco and have found out about function based indexes. I'm always amazed at the number of blanks stares I get from supposedly competent Oracle developers when I mention these things.) (this generalization not directed at Thomas!)

But it's interesting that Oracle will provide the database/session/query capability in 10g.

Next, based on history, will be the whining about the difficulty interspersing mixed-case and case-insensitive searches. <g> Received on Sun Nov 23 2003 - 18:56:21 CST