Re: db cache size in oracle 9ir2

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:05:05 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:3fc111ee$0$13984$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> > But isn't that also in the data dictionary tables?
> >
> > SELECT file_name, status
> > FROM dba_data_Files;
>
> This one I haven't checked, but dba_data_files is a view. Views are built
on
> top of tables... or, as with the v$ views, pull their information direct
out
> of the control file. So I suspect that dba_data_files is just looking,
> ultimately, at the control file.

Interest piqued

<caveat>
 following investigation beer induced and so liable to even more inaccuracy than usual
</caveat>

The relevant columns come from x$kccfn and x$ktfbhc

Now the file name comes from x$kccfn which appears in bug 2710321 which tells me that this table accesses the datafile headers - and don't have many small datafiles.
The status comes from x$ktfbhc which also appears to be a read of the datafiles themselves.

I think this suggests that

  1. this information is dynamically derived from base files, but the files involved are the data files and not the control files.
  2. metalink has its uses
  3. isn't beer supposed to make me chase sex not v$ definitions, still my wife is probably happy this way :(
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA