Re: db cache size in oracle 9ir2

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:09:03 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>>

>>>Because it doesn't store any real user data, and therefore has a

> completely
>
>>>different function from the data files and the redo logs?
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>HJR
>>
>>Not a good enough reason ... or even, IMO, a valid reason. It stores
>>only one bit of information not contained in the catalog tables: The SCN.

> You need to go back and check some more, Daniel.

Always happy to oblige.

> The control file stores the bit that tells us whether the database is in
> archivelog mode or not.

Ok so it is in one of the v_$ views. It could just as easily be in the data dictionary.

It contains the bits that describe whether a data file is online, offline, read-only or read-write.

But isn't that also in the data dictionary tables?

SELECT file_name, status
FROM dba_data_Files;

It contains the flag which indicates which is the current redo log, because that's not in the data dictionary either.

Ok so it is in one of the v_$ views. It could just as easily be in the data dictionary.

  It contains the Database ID, which is unique to each
> dtaabase. It contains the creation date for the database. If you use RMAN,
> it stores the repository information for RMAN.

Once again in the data dictionary too is it not? And RMAN will look anywhere the code bangers at Oracle tell it to look.

> There's lots it stores which you won't find in the data dictionary.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Thanks Howard but I don't buy it. I think the control file information should be stored in the data dictionary. From my experience ... I've lost a lot more control files over the years than system tablespaces. It is still, to me, complexity without value.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)