Re: DBMS_REPAIR, 8.1.7

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:46:44 +1100

"John Oakes" <john_at_networkproductions.net> wrote in message news:zqYvb.27269$M31.625393_at_twister.tampabay.rr.com...
> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 04:24:02 GMT, "John Oakes"
> > <john_at_networkproductions.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Ok, I was able to find the corrupted blocks succesfully. But now, I
want
> > >use DBMS_REPAIR.FIX_CORRUPT_BLOCKS to mark them as bad, and I am
getting:

> > >DECLARE num_fix INT;
> > >*
> > >ERROR at line 1:
> > >ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kdrp_chkblk_1], [0], [],
[],
> [],
> > >[], [], []
> > >ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_REPAIR", line 287
> > >ORA-06512: at line 4
> > >
> > >Any ideas? Thanks!
> >

> > ora-600 ----------> CALL SUPPORT

> Thanks, I have located the exact bug that causes this (found it in
> Metalink), it is number 2021123. According to the description it is fixed
> in product version 10.0. I'm not familiar with the Oracle versions, if I
> upgrade from 8.1.7.0 to 8.1.7.4 is this version 10? What does version 10
> relate to? Thanks!

No, 8i is version 8.
9i is version 9.
10g is version 10.

And 10g has been out about a month and a half, so is still extremely new (and likely has bugs all of its own to contend with).

I would have thought that it was a bit extreme to upgrade two versions of the database merely to fix a bug in dbms_repair. Especially when (reading the bug report) the fix is likely to be nothing more than to signal a proper ORA- error rather than throw an ORA-600. The issue is that your block which is corrupt is not a data block nor an index block (it could therefore be a rollback segment header block, or a tablespace bitmap block, etc etc). DBMS_REPAIR is not going to fix such blocks up, whatever version you have. So the issue is simply how dbms_repair reports the problem.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Nov 23 2003 - 00:46:44 CST