Re: rollback segment with no optimal question

From: Anna C. Dent <anacdent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:39:33 -0800

VC wrote:

> Hello Anna,
>
> "Anna C. Dent" <anacdent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>A report (which ONLY reads blocks) in and of itself
>>can NOT generate an ORA-01555 error!

> This is not true at all. The key phrase is 'delayed block cleanout'.

I know all about "delayed block cleanout" but some OTHER session MUST have changed all those block to trigger it. I stand
by the statement that if all that runs
against an Oracle DB are "reports", that you'll NEVER see an ORA-01555 error.

In order to get an ORA-01555 error, a session, other than the session running the report, either before or during the report run must have changed or does change data blocks. The problem (ORA-01555) is NOT "caused" by the report session. The report session is just the victim of some other session changing blocks within the database. Received on Sat Nov 22 2003 - 13:39:33 CST