Re: db cache size in oracle 9ir2

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 06:12:31 +1100

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:F3Jvb.22263$aT.12989_at_news-> Hi Howard,

> There's a bit of a difference between Data Guard and the GUI.
>
> We use Data Guard (9.2) but not the GUI.

OK. I"ll stop being lax with words. And maybe we can then get this right.

Here's the Oracle documentation on the matter:

"You must use a server parameter file if you use the Data Guard broker."

And since the doco. also describes the Data Guard broker as...

"a distributed management framework that automates and centralizes the creation, maintenance, and monitoring of Data Guard configurations. The following list describes some of the operations that the broker automates or simplifies:
  a.. Creating and enabling one or more Data Guard configurations, including setting up log transport services and log apply services.   b.. Creating a physical or logical standby database from a backup copy of the primary database.
  c.. Adding new or existing standby databases to an existing Data Guard configuration.
  d.. Managing an entire Data Guard configuration from any system in the configuration.
  e.. Monitoring log apply rates, capturing diagnostic information, and detecting problems quickly with centralized monitoring, testing, and performance tools "
...then a couple of things need to be said.

First, this isn't a question of GUI or not. The Data Guard broker is controlled either via Data Guard Manager (GUI) or via the Data Guard Manager Command Line interface, DGMGRL. So even in non-GUI mode, the broker can be accessed, and hence the spfile would be compulsory.

Second, you must be a very brave man. From memory, performing a graceful switchover by hand takes about 8 steps and at least as many SQL statements. With DGMGRL, it consists of issuing the single command "switchover to 'BLAH';". I know which I'd prefer. Can I therefore ask why you have decided not to avail yourself of the automation/management features of Data Guard? Is it a bug issue? Or something else??

Third, my original statement was "The spfile has just one thing going for it: it is compulsory if you want to use Data Guard." I was indeed wrong. I should have written "The spfile has just one thing going for it: it is compulsory if you want to use Data Guard broker". GUI or CLI.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Nov 22 2003 - 13:12:31 CST