Re: Another Oracle "Myth"?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:22:59 -0800

Niall Litchfield wrote:

<snipped>

> 30GB SGA Common, surely not. For a system written without bind variables and
> with 200 or so concurrent users against a 50gb database we require under 1gb
> SGA. to be honest I'd be sceptical of any system that had an SGA of more
> than 2-4GB but I'm sure those that deal with the Boeings and BTs of this
> world might be able to educate me if I'm wrong.

<snipped>

Having been at Boeing twice as a consultant I'll step forward and answer your question.

I too would be skeptical of an SGA larger than 2-4GB: Even in that environment.

There are times and places for larger. But they are as common as the requirement for tables with more than 100 columns.

Greatly overused ... rarely the best solution.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu