DataGuard Complexities ...

From: Domenic G. <domenicg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2003 19:14:42 -0800

I'm going through the DataGuard docs in Oracle and they seem to be all over the place. I'm trying to avoid using DataGuard Manager in setting this up as I want to understand every step thoroughly, but the docs seem fragmented.

For example, I want to set it up in Maximum Protection mode and set the primary and standby up so that the roles can be reversed with a simple switchover command from the DataGuard Manager command line.

I figure I'm going to go take a course in March. And good docs out there that give a step by step sequence of instructions? In the docs, it says to copy the tablespaces and create the standby control file, but not to copy the redos -- do I add those in manually after I mount the standby? I've got the init.ora settings down pat, but then it mentions I need an extra standby group. For example, if I have 4 redos, I need at least 5 standby groups, and they all have to be the same size. Do the group numbers matter? Man, this is confusing!!

Domenic. Received on Thu Nov 20 2003 - 21:14:42 CST