Re: "Optimizing Oracle Performance" Book

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2003 18:26:52 -0800

spy_234432_at_yahoo.com (Margie) wrote in message news:<8a535156.0311201345.2596c371_at_posting.google.com>...
> Publisher is O'Reilly, author is Cary Millsap
>
> Have you used this book to resolve a performance problem? Are you a
> production DBA, not a developer?
>
> I'm just curious if the method described in this book helps. I read
> the first chapter from www.oreilly.com, and the promises made in the
> chapter seem too good to be true, like the newest wonder diet.

Margie,

Cary Milsap is not the only advocate/practicioner of using level 10046 trace to diagnose performance problems, but he is one of the early adopters and best at using it, knowing its limitations.

Buy the book. If you don't like it, I'll buy it off of you. Books like that, are nice to have a desk copy, one at home, and one to loan to co-workers, so the other 2 copies are where they should be :D.

If cost is a concern, use bookpool.com. This text is 43% off, and if your order is over $40, shipping is free. (I have no personal interest in bookpool.com, I just stopped using amazon.com when Bezos had the one-click patent issue, years ago). I might also suggest that you pick up the new Tom Kyte book while you're there.

btw - this book is discussed in detail on the ORACLE-L list on fatcity.com, where one of the authors is visible. One should be able to search that via google or your favorite search engine.

Paul Received on Thu Nov 20 2003 - 20:26:52 CST