Clone from hot backup

From: Paul Kline <iapdk_at_admin.drake.edu>
Date: 20 Nov 2003 08:51:21 -0800

We upgraded from 8i to 9i last month. Under 8i I frequently cloned our production database to a test version using the hot backups created every night (alter tablespace start/end backup and copy the datafiles). I have done this dozens of times with no problems. I copied the datafiles and redo logs to the new path, rename them, copy the redo logs to new names, create a control file by getting a trace from production and changing the first two lines to: STARTUP NOMOUNT
CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE SET DATABASE "TEST" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG After executing the control file script I enter: RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL Under 8i I would feed it the redo log copies until media recover completed. Under 9i it never completes, just keeps requesting more logs. Even when I supply copies of the archive logs from production up to the latest it never completes.

Can this be done under 9i?
Could it be that a new process is being run by someone that keeps a commit open for a very long time?
???

We have gone to auto undo also.

Thanks for any help.

Paul Kline
DBA - Drake University Received on Thu Nov 20 2003 - 10:51:21 CST