Re: Web and Lock...

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 06:38:06 +0100

Comments embedded

On 19 Nov 2003 21:16:05 -0800, srinivasanvijay_2000_at_yahoo.com (Vijays) wrote:

>> The problem is
>> >connection drops !!!
>> Which probably means you also have a lousy network.
>
>Dont tell me that internet connection never drops in this world !!!
>the ISP connection is not necessarily stable !!!

Internet connections very seldom drop, apart from those parts of the world where arrogant developers now everything better.

>> I am sure PMON wakes up time to time to clean up
>> >these dead processes...but what is that interval time ???
>> 20 or 30 seconds, IIRC
>
>I think that is good enough to implement the Oracle Locking...
>
>> How long ???
>> >Can we set the interval in which PMON is expected to wake up and clean
>> >???
>> Guess! It is NOT configurable.
>
>probably 11g versions would incorporate that i guess !!!!

Why? To make good for lousy developers, where the standard locking has worked properly for ages. You SHOULDN'T issue a SELECT FOR UPDATE by DEFAULT, if you insist on doing that, why don't you replace Oracle by Sqlserver?

>> If i get the answers for these, probably i would look at existing
>> >method...Otherwise, i got to implement the soft lock approach as i
>> >mentioned above in all the forms...(any better idea)..
>>
>> Why on earth do you need to implement this method? Is there any reason
>> you can't live with the standard Oracle locking?
>>
>ofcourse yes if PMON wakes up in above mentioned frequency !!!!

PMON is not the issue.

>> >Also, if somebody can give me an input of what are the parameters that
>> >i have to setup in forms90.properties to make it run fastly and
>> >efficiently...is there is something can be done at Jinitator level to
>> >make it better !!! any help is highly appreciated..
>> >
>> The parameter is probably called 'consultant', as crystall balls have
>> sold out here, and your question goes beyond anything a voluntary
>> group would answer.
>>

>Not an issue !! i want some experience from the groups...

Seems YOU already know ALL the answers, so WHY ask any questions, if you know EVERYTHING BETTER?

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA