Re: 9.2.0.4 Redhat AS vs HP-UX 11i vs Windows

From: steve <me_at_me.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 6:04:27 +0800

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 8:46:34 +0800, Domenic G. wrote (in message <c7e08a19.0311131646.614d5385_at_posting.google.com>):

> I'm trying to put together a document for my boss listing the pros and
> cons of Oracle on Windows vs. Oracle on Linux.
>
> I've seen at least one benchmark demonstrate a 40% performance
> improvment on Linux (vs. Windows) using identical hardware. The only
> thing that worries me about Linux is I've seen a lot of posts here
> recently where people have had enormous trouble just installing the
> thing (and had to start changing files, etc.).
>
> I've installed on Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX in the past and never really
> had any major problems other than getting root access. If anyone here
> is using Linux, I'm curious at to whether you have problems with the
> Oracle Management Server, Intelligent Agent, running OEM on Linux,
> etc. It's these little things that get you. Any known problems with
> certain Linux desktop environments?
>
> I don't want to recommend it only to find later on that I shot myself
> in the foot. Is there anything like HP-UX's SAM on Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance .../Dom.

I've done a few.

pull a windows workstation from stock, ghost the hard drive ( if you need to put it back later)

install any SUSE distro >=7.3 ( ensure you have the graphical environment).  that should take about 20 minutes
then install the oracle database 9i , that should take just under an hour.

it should go in first time and be ready to run. fine it won't be tuned but it will give you a very good idea of how easy it is.
also note with the database & OMS on the same server you will need about 1GB of ram , to avoid swap usage

if you do get any problems, it will be related to the linux development tools, If i rembember rightly you MUST install the compilers and libraries.

as for red hat, I also did 1 installation, which resulted it a few days work, smashed cd's and cancellation of my redhat registration.

if you are not worried about Novell, then go for SUSE. Received on Tue Nov 18 2003 - 16:04:27 CST