Re: Index not used therefore rebuild the thing ...

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Nov 2003 13:35:04 -0800

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote in message news:<a1d154f4.0311180043.8e265f3_at_posting.google.com>...
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1069122693.821136_at_yasure>...
> > Joel Garry wrote:

> > > In the 90's I would wait until after 5PM to call to get switched over
> > > to the Australian group who really knew something!

> > > Is that what that mysterious message from hotsos that went to my
> > > no-html address was all about?
> > >
> > > jg
> > > --
> > > @home.com is bogus.
> > > http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/fri/currents/news_1c14aust.html
> >
> > I second the thought. I too used to wait for the phones to be switched
> > to Australia to make support calls.
> >
> > I have had nothing but problems with calls switched to India. Whether
> > the people are or are not technically knowledgeable is not the issue.
> > Rather it is the fact that they are not screened for an ability to
> > communicate with non-Hindi speakers in English. It is becoming quite a
> > problem.
>

> So you did voice your concerns to Oracle?

Having the same experience, no, I just keep at it until I get a reasonable written response. But Oracle periodically revamps how it works anyways, whatever the feedback. I've had US-based support people tell me they don't like particular revamps, too.

> I have the feeling if it continues in this direction (and you only
> have to follow threads in the Metaclunck forums to verify quite often
> they are trying to put off customers), the state of support is going
> to kill Oracle.

I generally try to work out as much as I can before calling support. However (and we see it even on this group), the vast majority don't, even with published docs on "How to deal with support." So I think from O's point of view, it makes sense to have front-line support as cheap and voluminous as possible - anyone with a serious problem will make it past the frontline, since they have an emotional/financial investment in getting the problem solved.

It does vary quite a lot depending on the group you get. 9iAS on Windows is bound to get some young'un with communication issues. I've found installation/upgrade on unix usually gets me to capable people in Denver or some such pretty quick.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/sun/metro/news_1mi16ebay.html