Re: Database Size Estimation

From: Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:03:23 +0100

Joel Garry wrote:

> Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net> wrote in message news:<bp60g3$rhk$1_at_news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
>

>>Vijays wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have been asked to do the database size estimation. I have the the
>>>list of tables, indexes and average number of rows expected at this
>>>point and also for the next 5 years...With that how can i estimate the
>>>database size. This the first time i am exposed to do such thing. Any
>>>help is highly appreciated.
>>>
>>>I am hoping to get a tool or some excel sheet where i key in the
>>>respective information to get the sizing !! is something possible like
>>>that ??
>>>
>>>Rgds
>>
>>Apart from all wisdom demonstrated in earlier posts (liked the
>>"fearless francis farkas' fudge factor", but had it down for 1.97),
>>you will find that:
>>1) the initial estimate for the # of rows after 5 years
>>    was way wrong, or
>>2) the system lasted only 3 years, or
>>3) the system was "upgraded"
>>
>>making all estimates irrelevant after all

> Funnily enough, the very first system I ever worked on professionally
> had had a five year plan, and it was coming up to five years old, and
> the plan was dead-on accurate. I haven't seen that since. I
> attribute it to the much greater relative expense for planning and
> creating a business system in the late 70's.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/sat/business/news_1b15mp3.html
> Funny, mp3.com doesn't say anything about it.

That's called progress... ;-)

Just like the guy that said
"I used to have a green display, and everything I typed appeared instantly on that display. Now I have a Personal Computer with processing capability ten times of what the old system had, and Windows, and when I type, I see an hourglass before the letters appear.
And that's what they call progress."

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel