Re: Index not used therefore rebuild the thing ...

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:41:47 -0000

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:SV3ub.14720$aT.9988_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> There's a recent post on the Metalink Oracle Server forum (Index columns
> with Null-values), where someone complained that their index was not being
> used during a join and a FTS was being adopted instead. The index contains
> nulls and wondered if this could be an issue. This was all the info
supplied
> by the poster.
>
> The reply from Oracle, rebuild the index in case the index is fragmented
or
> the statistics are out of date.
>
> What the *%#@ !!
>
> I made what I hope is considered a "constructive" reply but I feeling like
> I'm fighting a losing battle against an army of Orcs.

It was a very constructive reply, though you missed out that the poor guy from Oracle didn't know what type of index it was either :( What actually amazed me was that the support guy referenced note 67522.1 which has nearly all the questions you asked, and *still* jumped straight to rebuilding. It made me wonder whether he had actually read the support note at all. Actually a response along the lines of please refer to 67522.1 would have been fine.

> Are there any Elves out there or are the forces of evil really taking over
?

There are some excellent people in Oracle support if my recent experience is anything to go by. Those days it is as effective as the English rugby team. Other times it is effective as the English cricket team :(

> BTW, any Aussies going to the Hotsos Tuning course with Cary Millsap this
> week. If so, catch ya there. Looking forward to spending some time with
> Elrond.
>
> Cheers ;)

not an image to expand upon methinks...

--