Re: Myth revisited ...

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:11:09 -0000

Fair comment. I guess that if the figures were reversed we'd all go for standard store elsewhere LOBs and there must be a tradeoff somewhere in between. And assuming that Nuno is correct about the performance (I haven't tested) it probably depends on the nature of the data access. I guess I was probably assuming that generally LOBS are of *about* the same size, i.e you are storing 8k images or 100mb video streams but not both in one column. This is almost certainly a bad assumption.

So um I guess what I am saying is that my gut reaction is almost certainly 100% wrong and 'it depends on data,access, etc etc' is in fact correct.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA