Re: Patch Set for 8.1.7.4 failed to upgrade

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 22:38:07 -0800

Anne Nolan <MUNGEanneDOTnolanNOSPAM_at_rts-group.com> wrote in message news:<3FB92FBE.9C75204D_at_rts-group.com>...
> Glen A Stromquist wrote:
>
> > Anne Nolan wrote:
> >
> > > We have an instance of Oracle 8.1.7.0 on a (now unused) server, running
> > > on Windows NT 4. I thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade this to
> > > 8.1.7.4, to learn about the process.
> > >
> > > I downloaded the patch set from Oracle (81741_nt_release.zip), unzipped
> > > the file, and slavishly followed the directions in the README file (I
> > > used the "silent installation" option for step 4 of the process, running
> > > setup.exe). Things proceeded with no problems. When I was all done, I
> > > checked the version in v$session:
> > >
> > > Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> > > PL/SQL Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> > > CORE 8.1.7.0.0 Production
> > > TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> > > NLSRTL Version 3.4.1.0.0 - Production
> > >
> > > There's no sign of any version change. (!?!)
> > >
> > > I guess I can run through the whole thing again, but it was agonizingly
> > > slow (the computer is a 300 MHz Celeron, 256 MB of RAM).
> > >
> > > I have googled for some discussion of this, without success. I was
> > > hoping that some kind soul in this group could shed some light on why
> > > nothing seems to have happened to the Oracle version. Is there some
> > > step that I must have omitted? Was it a mistake to use the "silent
> > > installation" option?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any information.
> > >
> > > Anne Nolan
> > >
> > when you sign on (or off) sqlplus you should see the patched version
> > number, or select banner from v$version
> >
> > hth
>
> Sadly, my SQL*Plus login shows just 8.1.7.0. And it was v$version I used..
> the "session" was an error.
>
> Thanks,
> Anne

Anne,

even when run in a silent mode, the oui will create logs of the patch install.
Please check the logs in C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\logs

Was there virus protection software running (realtime scan)? Might some other software hava had a handle (lock) on d:\oracle\ora81\bin\ociw32.dll or something similar?

I'd re-run the patchset with a non-silent install.

hth.

Paul Received on Tue Nov 18 2003 - 00:38:07 CST