Re: Index not used therefore rebuild the thing ...

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:31:11 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<ha5irv0c7fvuldjp6dlh71u748bhbvfqai_at_4ax.com>...
>

>>On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:19:46 GMT, "Richard Foote"
>><richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote:
>>

>>>There's a recent post on the Metalink Oracle Server forum (Index columns
>>>with Null-values), where someone complained that their index was not being
>>>used during a join and a FTS was being adopted instead. The index contains
>>>nulls and wondered if this could be an issue. This was all the info supplied
>>>by the poster.
>>>
>>>The reply from Oracle, rebuild the index in case the index is fragmented or
>>>the statistics are out of date.
>>>
>>>What the *%#@ !!
>>>
>>>I made what I hope is considered a "constructive" reply but I feeling like
>>>I'm fighting a losing battle against an army of Orcs.
>>>
>>>Are there any Elves out there or are the forces of evil really taking over ?
>>>

>>No, Oracle must have fully staffed their support department with
>>people who are both OCP and only know how to navigate Metaclunk.
>>They have no real world experience other than reading the docs.
>>As opposed to the 90's when you could phone someone in your own
>>country, and the someone really knew something about Oracle.
>

> In the 90's I would wait until after 5PM to call to get switched over
> to the Australian group who really knew something!
>

>>>BTW, any Aussies going to the Hotsos Tuning course with Cary Millsap this
>>>week. If so, catch ya there. Looking forward to spending some time with
>>>Elrond.
>>>
>>>Cheers ;)
>>>
>>>Richard
>>>

>>So, Larry ends up as Saruman? (Where of course Bill is Sauron)
>

> Is that what that mysterious message from hotsos that went to my
> no-html address was all about?
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/fri/currents/news_1c14aust.html

I second the thought. I too used to wait for the phones to be switched to Australia to make support calls.

I have had nothing but problems with calls switched to India. Whether the people are or are not technically knowledgeable is not the issue. Rather it is the fact that they are not screened for an ability to communicate with non-Hindi speakers in English. It is becoming quite a problem.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu