TNS Error creating Oracle 8i Database

From: Adam C <adam_at_ddisolutions.com.au>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 17:54:01 -0800

Hello all,

I am in desparate need of help, not being an Oracle guru I am finding it
difficult to trouble shoot the problem I am experiencing. Any and all help is much appreciated!

PLATFORM:
Win2K SP2, Oracle8i Personal Edition

PROBLEM:
Trying to create a New Database! Was previously able to do this using either
the UI or via scripting, however now, whenever I try either approach I get the same error...

Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to:  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)
(ARGV0=oracleALMS)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))
(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ALMS)(CID=(PROGRAM=D:\Oracle\Ora81\bin\SQLPLUS.EXE)
(HOST=DDI-WKG1)(USER=adam))))

  VERSION INFORMATION:

	TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
	Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version
8.1.5.0.0 - Production
  Time: 17-NOV-03 13:39:42
  Tracing not turned on.
  Tns error struct:
    nr err code: 0
    ns main err code: 12560
    TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error     ns secondary err code: 0
    nt main err code: 530
    TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0

..I get this error several times, as well as another message saying something
like "Not Connected To Oracle" (when using the UI to try and create it, if I
choose to Ignore the errors, I get to 99% and then it just hangs there).

Whichever approach I use, the OracleService is created and started without a
problem, but the steps following that seem to always fail.

I have verified that the TNSListener service is started.

I have been able to configure a TNS Names entry that points to another instance
of Oracle (on another box) and connect to it using PL*SQL

Please HELP

Adam Received on Mon Nov 17 2003 - 19:54:01 CST