Re: Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 17:15:05 -0800

Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.11.17.09.27.21.936192_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>...
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:34:43 -0800, Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

> > You don't want to know how many times I've gone on a consulting job
> > and the first thing I did was spend hours trying to figure out what
> > dimwit put what files where and which database files related to which
> > Oracle files where.
>
> At the risk of stating the obvious, and no slander intended, what's wrong
> with
>
> cat /etc/oratab
>
> or
>
> cat /var/opt/oracle/oratab
>
> or even
>
> cat $TNS_ADMIN/oratab
>
> to find out what version goes where?

Well, if one only has to do it once it's not a big deal. But spend a few months at a non-OFA shop, then go to an OFA shop, then go to a bunch of each, and one REALLY AGREES with Daniel. Especially when there's stuff hanging around that never got cleaned up. And, er, "special" extensions to OFA for backup directories. And cutesy sysadmins who share home directories across platforms. And former "dba's" who didn't know about rc or export or setenv commands and left misdefinitions all over the place.

Actually, I _like_ straightening out messes like that, as long as I'm paid for it.

> > There is nothing like seeing
> > /product/oracle/8.1.7/
> > /product/oracle/9.2.0/
> >
> > To know what is what and make life much easier for everyone.
>

> I agree 100%, but we live in a slightly un-ideal world (apologies Howard
> for misuse of English)

And don't forget to check $ORACLE_HOME/dbs for all your log and control files of the _other_ $ORACLE_HOME :-)

> Cheers,
> Norm.
>
> PS. Come on you Aussies in the Rugby World Cup final. It's bad enough
> being reminded at *every* available opportunity that England did win
> something back in 1966 in the footie, without having to have rugby shoved
> down our throats as well for the next 40 odd years.
>
> And as for England, stop kicking the damned ball - you're playing rugby
> for crying out load. Score trys or take up football.
>
> :o)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Rugby Players Eat Their Dead, Die Of Ebola.