Re: Index not used therefore rebuild the thing ...

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 16:42:55 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<ha5irv0c7fvuldjp6dlh71u748bhbvfqai_at_4ax.com>...
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:19:46 GMT, "Richard Foote"
> <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> >There's a recent post on the Metalink Oracle Server forum (Index columns
> >with Null-values), where someone complained that their index was not being
> >used during a join and a FTS was being adopted instead. The index contains
> >nulls and wondered if this could be an issue. This was all the info supplied
> >by the poster.
> >
> >The reply from Oracle, rebuild the index in case the index is fragmented or
> >the statistics are out of date.
> >
> >What the *%#@ !!
> >
> >I made what I hope is considered a "constructive" reply but I feeling like
> >I'm fighting a losing battle against an army of Orcs.
> >
> >Are there any Elves out there or are the forces of evil really taking over ?
> >

> No, Oracle must have fully staffed their support department with
> people who are both OCP and only know how to navigate Metaclunk.
> They have no real world experience other than reading the docs.
> As opposed to the 90's when you could phone someone in your own
> country, and the someone really knew something about Oracle.

In the 90's I would wait until after 5PM to call to get switched over to the Australian group who really knew something!

> >BTW, any Aussies going to the Hotsos Tuning course with Cary Millsap this
> >week. If so, catch ya there. Looking forward to spending some time with
> >Elrond.
> >
> >Cheers ;)
> >
> >Richard
> >

> So, Larry ends up as Saruman? (Where of course Bill is Sauron)

Is that what that mysterious message from hotsos that went to my no-html address was all about?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/fri/currents/news_1c14aust.html