Oracle Scripting Question

From: DTS <dave_at_simcik.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 08:51:57 -0800

I'm a bit of a newbie at writing scripts for Oracle. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all of the different scripting, reporting, and script storage abilities Oracle has to offer. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I could use some clarification.

-Can I embed SQL DML statements inside of PLSQL blocks?

-Can I combine a SQLPlus report with a PLSQL code block and print out
results?

-I'd like to be able to keep DML statements for all of the database
objects required by my applications near the application source code. This would include packages, tables, subprograms, triggers, etc. -- anything and everything to help redeploy the database-side of the application. What's the best means of accomplishing this and keeping everything synchronized?

-Is creating a subprogram in a package the same as creating a
standalone subprogram? In other words, will the subprograms I code in the package show up as independent objects in the schema?

-Are there any special file extensions that I should be using (aside
from .sql)? Maybe .pkg for packages??? What's all of this "start file" stuff anyways?

-Does it make sense to provide a seperate schema for most every
application that I build? I am gravitating towards this idea as it provides a convenient delineation between applications and would allow me to move the entire schema around via SQLLoader and conveniently list schema contents from the data dictionary. I would probably need to create a generic schema for global packages that I create. Does that make sense or is there a better way?

-Are there any "best" or "recommended" Oracle development practices
out there that I should be following, either in electronic or deadtree form? I have Oracle PLSQL Tips and Techniques, Oracle 8 The Complete Reference (old yet good), and have both the Oracle Application Development Guide and the PLSQL User's Guide and Reference. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Heaping loads of thanks!!!
DTS Received on Mon Nov 17 2003 - 10:51:57 CST