Re: Domain account or local account

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:06:47 -0600

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:59:33 +0100, Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net> wrote:

>Ed Stevens wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:51:39 +0100, Sybrand Bakker
>> <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote:

>>>The docs mention using the *local adminstrator*. Don't see any reason
>>>to deliberately ignore the docs on this.
>>

>> Well, there is the local user account 'Administrator', and then there
>> is the local group 'Administrators', of which 'Administrator' is a
>> default member. The Oracle9i Database Installation Guide
>> Release 2 (9.2.0.1.0) for Windows says specifically "Log on as a
>> member of the Administrators group to the computer on which to install
>> Oracle components"
>>
>> So, just to clarify, one does not *need* to log on as Administrator,
>> but one *should* log on as a user who is a member of the local
>> Administrators group. In our case, we have a domain group called
>> "ORACLE_ADMINISTRATORS". The domain user accounts of all of the
>> Oracle DBA's (all two of us!) are members of this group. When the
>> sever team builds a new DB server, they add this domain group to the
>> local Administrators group on the server. So when my partner or I
>> install Oracle, we simply log on with our normal network account, and
>> inherit all necessary admin authority.
>
>So? ...making you in fact a user with local administrative rights.
>That what it boils down to - you NEED local administrative rights!
>
>As stated by Sybrand and the docu

Yes, but I wasn't sure the distinction was clear to the OP. Don't know about you, but I've known people who think logging on "as administrator" means using a specific account. It wasn't clear to me that the OP understood, or, if he didn't understand, that Sybrand's response clarified. So, just in case there *was* some misunderstanding, I was simply trying to draw a clearer picture. Received on Mon Nov 17 2003 - 08:06:47 CST