Re: Connect by dumps

From: Alkos <azerty_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:38:00 +0100

"foolishHurts" <silverback_at_photobooks.com> a écrit dans le message news: d587rvks328l3frfav7nthonbbmvn0tgj8_at_4ax.com...
> Thanks for a great way to get a hierarchy.
> BUT... Give a mouse a cookie and it wants a glass of milk.
> There is one thing I can not find.
>
> Given data as follows, I would like to control the order of traversal such
> that child 3 is traversed before child 2 (same tree structure, reverse
> order) :

Reorder the rows of your source table (assuming it's called nodes) : create table nodes_2 as select parent,child from nodes order by 1 asc,2 desc;
then run your query on table nodes_2 and you'll get the desired result.

I'm not very used querying with start, connect and I was very surprised Oracle doesn't allow to
perform hierarchical queries on a view whose SQL text includes an ORDER BY clause.
(the error 1472 message doesn't mention ORDER BY only GROUP BY and DISTINCT) May be the error message should be understood as : cannot use CONNECT BY on view with any row sort within it execution plan

If anybody can give me precisions about that, it will be greatly appreciated.

Alkos Received on Mon Nov 17 2003 - 02:38:00 CST